Friday, December 23, 2011

A Little Light Reading

The hubby and I, and his family went to a funeral a couple of weeks ago.  
A dear family friend, Shellie passed away after a long battle with brain tumors.  Even though it took her body, her spirit will live on through her family and friends. During the memorial service, two friends of hers read aloud a dialogue of scripture and Shellie's responses.  

It has inspired me to do the same today.  

Just like any relationship, there are ups and downs.  I am learning that through these first two years of marriage.  It's amazing that God could create such different beings, a man, and a woman, and then have them live together for the rest of their lives. Some days, I think I never knew I could love another person so much.  Someone that isn't part of my family, had a totally different upbringing, and has a very different way of folding laundry.
Other days, I think this marriage thing has to be more that just our love for one another. 
It is definitely a God thing.  It's supernatural, and we need His help. 

The same is true in a relationship with God. There are ups and downs. 

Today I read in Philippians 4. Here are the verses and my response. Thanks for your inspiration Shellie!

Philippians 4
         10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity.
 I know that I have a lot to be grateful for.  I have family and friends that care about me. 
       11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
I have closets and drawers stuffed with stuff.  I have a garage of stuff.  Sometimes, I don't even know what all is in there.  My car has stuff in it, remnants of all the little things I wouldn't miss.  
None of the matters now.  
My body is decaying.  My life is closing in on me.  Thank you for the good days, when I can enjoy the sunshine on my skin, the wind in my face, cuddling with hubby on the couch.  God, teach me to be thankful for the bad days, being hooked up to monitors, emergency rooms, strong medicines.
      12  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 
In my life, I have had times where I thought I didn't need God.  I can do this on my own.  Bad things happen if I follow Him or not.  I'm going to be sick the rest of my life anyway...
But now I'm starving and pleading for You to help me.  I can't do this alone. I don't know where to go or what to do.  What am I doing with my life?  Why am I here?
This pain is too heavy for me to bear alone.
       13  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
God, are you really there?  Can I ask you just to carry me thru today?  I just need to get thru today.  My meds make me so tired.  This chemo drug sucks, why did you invent it?  Can I just lean on you for a little while?
       14  Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.
I cannot believe how perfect your timing is, God! Your hand is over my life.  You have provided just what my soul needed, friendship.  I can feel you God, when they offer a listening ear, bring over a hot meal, visit me in the hospital, or even clean my house.  How can you love me so much?  How do you know exactly what I need? 
      19  Any my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
I know I need you.  I need your grace.  I need your love.
My hope is that my life will be one that glorifies you.
     20  Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen


And in the end
its not the years in
your life that count.
It's the life in your years.
-Abraham Lincoln


No comments:

Post a Comment